Spicy Southern Fried Cauliflower
Sometimes we just need a little bit of soul food, and this spicy southern fried cauliflower really hits the spot! It’s crispy, packed full of flavour and is 100% vegan.
Like in every other case, this vegan alternative to southern style fried chicken is as delicious as the original recipe but so much more fulfilling. Not to mention it’s so much better for you, our planet and no animals had to suffer.
Kudos to Sweet Potato Soul for a fantastic recipe that’s full of exactly that, soul.
1 cup of all purpose flour
1 tablespoon of flax “egg”
½ teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon of white pepper
½ teaspoon of onion powder
½ teaspoon of garlic powder
½ teaspoon of paprika
1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
⅓ cup of vegan hot sauce
¼ cup of unsweetened plain soy milk or other non-dairy milk
1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
5 cups of sunflower oil, or other frying oil
1 large head of cauliflower, cut into large florets
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine the flour, flax “egg”, salt, cayenne pepper, white pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and nutritional yeast.
- In another bowl combine the hot sauce, soy milk, and Dijon mustard and whisk until creamy.
- Heat the frying oil in a large dutch oven or fryer. It should be around 350°.
- Use one hand to carefully dip a cauliflower floret into the wet mixture, then drop it into the flour mixture. Use your other hand (it should be dry) to coat it completely. Dip it back into the hot sauce mixture, and again into the dry mixture, keeping one hand devoted to wet and one to dry.
- Carefully lower the twice coated cauliflower into the hot oil. Repeat with remaining cauliflower until you can’t fit any more into the pot. Cook for about 4-5 minutes, until the pieces are golden.
- Transfer fried cauliflower to a large plate covered with two sheets of paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Continue to cook the remaining cauliflower.
- Serve hot.
Share your creations with us on facebook.com/plantbasedlifeSA/
Happy healthy cooking!