Sweet potato & peanut butter vegan-dog food recipe
This homemade vegan-dog food recipe will help you give your dog all the goodness it needs, without all that added stuff it doesn’t.
- 6 cups filtered water
- 1/2 cup whole-grain rice
- 1/2 cup black or white quinoa
- 1 cup lentils
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 3 cups natural peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar, optional (Vinegar helps stop doggie gas, but if your dog doesn’t have this problem, you can omit it.)
For each serving:
- 1 Tbsp. flaxseed oil (Store in the fridge.)
- 200–250 mg cranberry extract (Vegan dogs, especially, can benefit from this acidifier to maintain a healthy urinary pH.)
- VegeDog multivitamin powder (Follow directions on the label.)
- Prozyme Plus (Follow directions on the label.)
- 125 mg or 1/4 pill PB8 brand probiotic
- Bring the water to a boil, then add the rice, quinoa, lentils, and sweet potatoes.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes to 1 hour, or until the rice, quinoa, lentils, and sweet potatoes are very soft and well cooked. Stir occasionally and add more water as needed. When fully cooked, remove from the heat.
- Add the peanut butter and vinegar (if using) and stir well.
- Place 3 to 5 servings (1 serving is about 2/3 cup*) in the refrigerator and store the rest in the freezer.
- Just before serving, mix in the flaxseed oil, cranberry extract, Vegedog, Prozyme Plus, and PB8.
Serve twice daily.
* Based on the nutritional needs of a 20-lb. dog. Adjust according to your own dog’s weight.