Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
A classic Eastern European dish to impress! These vegan stuffed cabbage rolls by The Budhist Chef are packed with protein and flavour. The best way to serve cabbage indeed! If you have never been a fan of the leafy veg, this recipe will surely convert you. This is definitely one of our favourite recipes. One to whip out at family cook-offs!
Best served hot!
2 tablespoons of oil
1 chopped onion
2 pealed and chopped carrots
2 cups of sliced mushrooms
2 celery stalks, minced
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of dried basil
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
2 1/2 cups of vegetable broth (divided)
1 cup of cooked lentils
1/2 cup of basmati rice, uncooked
1 – 2 cups of vegetable broth
1 – 2 cups of tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Heat oil and sauté onion for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, mushrooms and celery, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, soy sauce, oregano, basil, maple syrup, and tomato paste. Mix well.
- Stir in 1/2 cup (125 mL) vegetable broth and lentils. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add rice and 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable broth.
- Cover and let simmer for another 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Immerse cabbage leaves in boiling water for 1 minute. Let cool.
- Spoon lentil mixture into softened cabbage leaves and roll tightly. Place stuffed cabbage rolls side by side in a baking dish.
- Heat remaining 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable broth and pour over rolls, making sure to cover them up to the half point.
- Pour tomato sauce over all rolls, cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.1
- Remove foil and broil for 2 minutes.
We would love to see your creations. Share with us on facebook.com/plantbasedlifeSA/.
Happy healthy cooking!