French Onion Soup
A vegan spin on a classic french favourite. This french onion soup by the The Buddhist Chef is soul-food at its best! A cheesy bread baked in an aromatic onion soup.
We recommend trying Violife dairy-free pizza cheese for the cheesy bread topping. It melts like a dream and gives it that heartyness every french onion soup needs!
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
6 cups of onions, thinly sliced
3/4 cup of light lager
1 teaspoon of basil
1 teaspoon of oregano
2 bay leaves
4 tablespoons of miso
6 cups of vegetable broth
4 slices of toasted baguette
2 cups of grated Violife dairy-free pizza cheese
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onions in oil, over medium heat until lightly browned and tender, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes.
- Add the lager and bring to a boil and let it reduce for 3 minutes.
- Add basil, oregano, bay leaves, miso, vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven’s broiler.
- Ladle the soup into four heat resistant bowls.
- Place a slice of bread on each soup and cover with the cheese.
- Place the bowls on a baking sheet and broil in the oven until the cheese has melted.
Share your creations with us on facebook.com/plantbasedlifeSA/
Happy healthy cooking!