Vegan Sushi Rolls
Making sushi at home is fun and super easy to do. The Buddhist Chef shows us that with just a couple of ingredients you can easily whip up a batch of delicious vegan sushi rolls.
1 cup of sushi rice
1 1/2 cups of water
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of rice vinigar
1 tablespoon of maple syrup
3 sheets of nori
1 sliced avocado
1/4 of a cucumber, seeded and minced
3 tablespoons of vegan mayonnaise
1 teaspoon of sriracha sauce
1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- Rinse the rice in cold water and place in a saucepan. Add water, bring to a boil. Stirr, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- Add salt, rice vinegar and maple syrup to the rice. Mix well and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the vegan mayonnaise, sriracha sauce and maple syrup. Set aside.
- Lightly moisten hands with water, then gently spread about 3/4 cup rice onto nori in even layer, leaving 1/2-inch border on long end opposite you.
- Arrange the cucumber and avocado on rice in the center the sheet and add a tablespoon of spicy mayonnaise.
- Roll up the bamboo mat slowly, tucking in the closest end of the sushi roll to start a roll and press lightly with both hands. Remove the roll from the mat and leave to sit with the joining edges downwards.
- Using a lightly moistened sharp knife to trim the ends, then cut into 6-8 pieces. Serve with the pickled ginger and little bowls of soy sauce.
Share your creations with us on facebook.com/plantbasedlifeSA/
Happy healthy cooking!